Saturday, February 16, 2008

Top 10 Trance Anthems of All-Time

Good old days. DDR Nonstop megamixes pretty much got me into the whole dance music scene. Recently, I've been listening to trance/techno classics. I also ordered Velfarre's CYBER TRANCE Complete Compilation and because of it's rarity I had to ship it all the way from Japan. The track compilation is absolutely pristine.

Purple0cean (that's a zero) on YouTube has actually gone through the arduous work of making 19 videologs listing the top 100 Trance tracks of all time. While I disagree on so many of his/her choices, I have to say I'm still very impressed because I have never heard many of the selections in there. Some of his top choices are really good. As far as I can tell, most of his selections are very new tracks in the European scene. Europe by the way is the BG9 of trance music (lol).

I'm a little more old school. The History of Trance goes back not too far away. Age of Love (1990) is widely considered the earliest example of trance music. Wikipedia cites Frankfurt, Germany as the birthplace of trance, which is again an indication of Europe's leading superiority in the field of electronic dance music.

There is much to lament about how much people know about trance. It's extremely annoying to hear someone label Tiesto's music as techno. Techno was definitely more commercial though, but as Armin himself has expressed, Progressive Trance has and will be the leading choice of club music in the contemporary scene. I kinda did a list of my own favorite trance anthems of all time, just a really brief list.

1. Rank 1 - Airwave (Cyber Trance Remix)

2. Joop - The Future (Trance Energy 2007)

3. Salt Tank - Eugina (Michael Woods Remix)

4. Saltwater - The Legacy (Alphazone Remix)

5. Solar Stone - Seven Cities (V-One's Living Cities Remix)

6. Gouryella - Tenshi

7. Cygnus X - Superstring (Rank 1 Remix)

8. System F - Out of the Blue 2007 (Major 12 Inch Remix)

9. Gouryella - Ligaya (Hiver & Hammer Remix)

10. DJ Tiesto - Nyana

No comments: