Saturday, April 28, 2007

Back to Civ2

Recently I downloaded Sid Meier's Civilization 2. Many gamers say Starcraft: Broodwar is the best game ever created. To some extent yes, but Civ2 has a breadth and depth so deep that even until today, many playing strategies are being formulated. In IGN's Top 100 Games, Civilization 2 ranked 4th, only losing out to Super Mario Bros, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Tetris. You can see the entire list here. SC might have to run a few more years :p

As a student studying Games Design, I truly hope to follow in the footsteps of Sid Meier. No fanciful graphics, no e-peen stroking by randomgamesite.com, no gore and disorder like that of GTA, no androgynous guys like those in FF, just sheer brilliance and architectural intellect. No I'm lieing lol, you can't make a living without those. FF guys are damn hot anyway ^_^ But yeh, Civ2 is simply breath-taking.

It doesn't go without flaws though. Some Civilizations are predictable because their AI-personality is static. For example, the Sioux are fantastic militarists while the French are pussycat dolls. I like to play Russia, not just because I'm a commie at large, but because I aspire to play like a Communist. I'm too used to isolation and then maxing out science. It's good for the space-race, but it's not kicking enough for me. Some guides suggested using Espionage to steal techs while buffing domestic military, that could be quite fun. Anyway, the last time I won a game through military conquest, I played China, went Fundamentalism and zerged fases LMAO.